Sunday 31 March 2013

HINCKLEY PUB OF THE YEAR : "THE QUEEN'S HEAD"

Last Wednesday, I attended one of my local pubs, 'The Queen's Head' in Hinckley, for its CAMRA 'Pub of the Year' presentation; this was only in relation to the Hinckley and Bosworth area but was, nonetheless, a well-deserved honour. The pub will now progress to the East Midland regional competition and from there 'Who knows ?'.
 
The evening was a noisy one. There must have been close to a hundred attendees and the bar rarely stopped serving; as always in recent times, the beer was varied and excellent. Dawn, the landlady, laid on a fine buffet which seemed too much but very little was left over. It was a great night and the landlord, Phil, surprised everyone by announcing that he planned on increasing his array of handpumps from four to six while also reducing his price to £2:50 a pint, for the night only, I must add.
 
If I have a complaint, it would be that many of the CAMRA members present were less than friendly. As a new member, I do know one or two of the local committee and I did manage to grab a few words with them; however, my attempts to engage in conversations with others rather tended to fall on stony ground. It seemed to me that they were more interested in congratulating themselves and in maintaining their own cliques than in welcoming new members, of whom there have apparently been many in recent months.
 
This was, to say the least, disappointing. It was, of course, a major event for the local branch and it may be that I chose a bad time, and event, at which to try to introduce myself. I will try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment