Sunday 7 April 2013

PUBS ARE FOR FRIENDLY ENJOYMENT, NOT MISERABLE IGNORANCE.

There are times when I despair of people.
 
Today, I went for a lunchtime drink at a local pub. Initially it was empty apart from myself and the barmaid. After a while, a group of blokes came in; a couple I knew and the rest were lads (I use the word advisedly as they were a bit old to be lads) from Newcastle who are working locally for a few weeks. Noisier it became but they were all friendly, as Geordies always are; in fact, I'd have to say that they were great company.
 
One or two other people came in including a bloke I've seen in a couple of pubs but who has to count as the most pig-ignorant man I've ever met. I've previously made efforts to greet him but without response. Today I made a comment about the recent reduction in alcohol duty and the resultant silly prices in some pubs; he listened and then walked off without comment. He made no attempt to chat and was his usual miserable self. A few minutes later, he returned to the bar, dumped his almost untouched pint down and with a "That's terrible !" walked out. He made no attempt to enter into any conversation and said nothing to the barmaid. What was 'terrible' wasn't explained and he didn't give the barmaid an opportunity to poor another pint. He just left in a huff.
 
To be fair, the beer wasn't at it's best but it wasn't terrible; it was drinkable.Was this unpleasant man trying to make a point ? Is he just a 'beer snob' ? Or is he just a 'snob', full stop ? Sadly, I see him rather too frequently though he never speaks. The barmaid told me that she had never heard him speak other than to order a pint; he never says please or thankyou.
 
Our pubs are full of all sorts of people, many of them engaging and friendly. Why do I, and others in my local area, have to suffer this snobbish, rude and ignorant man ?

No comments:

Post a Comment